Skip to main content

Year of Service

I applied and was chosen to participate in the 34 CFR Section 263 grant implemented by the Office of Indian Education and I am currently completing a twelve month repayment period and had to take a minute to look at the year and see if I was able to exceed and apply my training to the best of my ability.

I am currently in an early head start on my reservation in a community down the road from my mom's house and I am having a good time and I love the challenge of integrating assessment and forethought into our monthly activity. LOVE IT, and I was able to attend a meeting last month with the Wyoming Department of Education to gather input on the Every Student Succeeds Act and I was very excited for two reasons; the first was that I was in a room of adults and had the opportunity to interact with people outside of my work and child care environments.

The second reason I was very excited to attend and spent two days prior to the meeting organizing my children and double checking with care givers for the evening was because I was attending a meeting that was encompassing my life. I attended confidently as an educator and as a parent of students in public school and as  mother of a child with an identified learning disability (a very complex one!). I loved it, I had a whole entire table to myself, and I actually went early to be able to check my email and review the ESSA. I was asked to define my role as an attendee to the meeting and I rattled down my list of being a mother, parent volunteer, committee member, and educator and I hadn't ever taken  the time to define or clarify the designation.

I have spent a number of years working as a support staff member to educators and administrators and have been able to watch and grow and apply a variety of skill sets to meet goals and needs of our students and I feel that I am right where I need to be. I have served on a number of educational committees and have enjoyed my time in my local school district as a student and as a paraprofessional and staff member. I am, however, humbled and blessed to be able to see my students become parents and see their joy and their determination in helping their children.

I am so glad that I have the support of my family to be able to invest in myself by finishing my bachelors degree and I look forward to the next ten years in working toward additional degrees to help me gain a better understanding of academia and how I can empower my students and children to maximize their knowledge and make informed decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go, yo!

  Hey there! So I've been sleeping and eating and reading and somewhat writing ideas and hopes and dreams hoping to restart some creative processing for the next round of learning and dreaming. My children and I have eaten some amazing meals and prepared some traditional plants and ingredients that I would have never had the time or opportunity to know if we had not had to feed our spirits while in quarantine. We learned about the strength of our family and the effort it takes to become an intelligent person, as the world continues to move in a more productive path after quarantine, we have made changes to support our spiritual growth and make our path within ceremony to re-focus of our lives for the time being.  We have watched the sun set in Ute country and were amazed at the ingenuity and historical knowledge needed to thrive in their high arid environment. So much love and so many beautiful prayerful people have made such a good impression on my children, I will be grateful for

23 Day Challenge, Minute 2

 My second post for the #23MinuteChallenge, I think I would be the most grateful today for having some purpose in my life beyond being a mother. I have a pretty interesting job and I have been lucky enough to spend this most recent season of my life learning and gathering feedback for a community that means the most to me. I have been able to mature in my approach to issues and to learn to be more diplomatic in how I respond to issues. So with this post, my top ten things related to, or within my learning curve of higher education are as follows: Every Student Succeeds Act , 2015 Title IX Title VII Johnson O'Malley American Indian Higher Education Consortium Tribal Colleges & Universities P.L. 280  Tribal Law and Order Codes Fort Laramie Treaty, 1868 My mother, for supporting every strong willed goal and aspiration I wanted to reach but had to build the scaffold for. Unwavering love.

My 2020 Aspiration: Garth Brooks and Kelly Clarkson

One of the best days of my life in being able to support someone who has the capacity to help so many others. I had some amazing life lines I utilized and had the opportunity to support women showing up for other women in a way that we never have the time or opportunity to do as much as I would like to see...but for one day some beautiful and important relationships were made to help see someone through a transitional time in life that I still struggle with.  I am so grateful for the ability to find support and direction in what it is that I'm doing and what it is that I can do better not only for myself but for my family.